The Social Development Council of Cornwall and Area is looking for a new Executive Director. If you are interested in working to make your community a vibrant place, maybe this is the role for you. See below for details:
Executive Director of the Social Development Council(SDC) of Cornwall and Area
• Provide strategic continuity to the SDC organization and its Board of Directors, to ensure that the long-term goals of the Board of Directors (the Board) are carried out regardless of changes in SDC’s Executive Committee and/or Board membership over time.
• Provide overall management and leadership in implementing Board policy in a manner consistent with the mission, vision, goals, strategic direction set up by the Board, and by-laws of SDC.
• Develop, coordinate, maintain, and supervise new and existing projects of the Social Development Council of Cornwall and Area in accordance with Board Policies and Procedures, and in alignment with the Strategic Plan.
Chair of the Board, SDC Executive Committee, SDC Board of Directors,
SDC Chair of Board of Directors
• Chair, Board, Executive Committee
• SDC Standing Committees/ Working groups
• Community Stakeholders/Other organizations/community partners
• Community Members/Volunteers
• Local Businesses/entrepreneurs
1. Ensure the continuity and momentum of long-term strategic initiatives directed by the Board (e.g., organizational relationships, strategic membership engagement initiatives, etc.).
- Participate with the Board in developing short and long-term strategic planning to guide the organization
- Serve as the consistent leadership contact of SDC (i.e. serve as the organization’s “corporate memory”, as Board members’ tenures expire)
- Establish, maintain, and/or advance SDC interests, by acting as a professional advisor of the Board on all aspects of the organization’s activities and,
- Develop stronger relationships with other similar professional, not-for-profit and private organizations, and utilize these relationships to strategically enhance the organization’s mission.
2. Implement board policy and decisions and ensure that strategic initiatives stay on track by updating the Board, in a timely manner, of internal and external issues that affect the organization.
3. Oversee and supervise staff and projects, offer support and direction to staff as needed.
4. Act as chair person for many working groups/standing committees of the Social Development Council of Cornwall and Area.
Operational Planning and Management
- Support strategic components of the development, planning, and delivery of programs and services in collaboration with Board committees and the SDC Secretariat.
- Develop an annual operational plan (with revisions, as needed) that meets the goals and objectives outlined in the strategic plan.
- Ensure that the operation of the organization meets the expectations of the Board and its members.
- Oversee the efficient and effective day-to-day operation of the organization
- Draft policies for the approval of the Board and prepare procedures to implement the organizational policies; review existing policies and by-laws on an annual basis and recommend changes to the Board, as appropriate.
- Provide support to the Board by preparing required material for the any and all other Board activities.
Financial Planning and Management
- Working as part of a team with the Treasurer, Executive Board Members, and third-party Bookkeeping service to ensure sound bookkeeping, accounting and taxation procedures are followed.
- Work to secure adequate funding for the operation of the organization.
- Maintain, acquire, and dispose of assets.
Communication, Advocacy and Human Resource Management
- Deepen and refine all aspects of communications, with the goal of engaging members and strengthen the SDC brand, including improving and maintaining the organization’s website and social media platforms.
- In partnership with the Board of Directors and Staff, act as a spokesperson for the organization and represent the organization at appropriate events to enhance its profile.
- Foster effective team work within the Board and between the Board and staff.
- Communicate with members and stakeholders to keep them informed of the work of the organization.
- Manage and coach the SDC staff and volunteers.
- Determine staffing requirements for organizational management and program delivery.
Program Planning and Management
- Assist in the planning, implementation and evaluation of the organization’s programs and projects.
- Monitor the programs offered by the organization to ensure they contribute to the organization’s mission and reflect the priorities of the Board.
- Plan & Develop new and programs and projects that fit with the SDC strategic plan.
- University Degree in Social Services or Related field (e.g., Social Work, Political Science, management degree) or equivalent experience.
- Experience in managing a not for profit organization; knowledge of leadership and management principles as they relate to not-for-profit organizations.
- Leadership and relationship management experience.
- Financial planning and management experience.
- Familiarity with current issues and opportunities impacting the fields relevant to SDC’s membership.
- Experience in initiating, planning, developing, implementing, and evaluating programs and services.
- Experience with communication tools, such as websites management (wordpress), & social media.
- Experience in staff management.
- Fluency in English.
- Fluency in French, an asset.