Stormont-Dundas-Glengarry and Prescott & Russell Counties, Ontario
30 hours per week for 8 weeks, starting July 4, 2016 until August 26, 2016
Summer Student Position
All Things Food | Bouffe 360°, in partnership with the Social Development Council of Cornwall and Area, is looking for a highly motivated, dynamic, creative, organized, and passionate summer student to help promote and administer the Local Food Challenge of Stormont, Dundas, & Glengarry (SDG), Prescott-Russell (PR), and the City of Cornwall & Area.
The Local Food Challenge (LFC) is a public awareness campaign that challenges residents of SDG, PR, and the City of Cornwall & Area to (re)discover the local food sources in their community, choose more local food, and share their local food experiences! The campaign runs from August 12 to 28, 2016 and was developed to complement and highlight the many local food businesses, events, and initiatives across the region, including Green Food Box/Bag programs, community gardens, farmer’s markets, and the PRSDG local food map.
To support the efforts of our participants, we have planned a large community and social media campaign which will require the help of a Communications and Event Planning Assistant. The entire event will be bilingual to reflect the language requirements of our community.
The Communications Assistant’s main responsibilities will include:
- Working in collaboration with the Local Food Challenge Planning Committee to plan and deliver the LFC activities, such as the launch event.
- Executing LFC communications plan activities, including developing and administering e-mail messages and social media posts
- Promoting the LFC to local food partners and community members
- Supporting local food partners with the event registration process.
- Helping to recruit community volunteers for LFC activities, as needed
- Attend bi-weekly planning meetings leading up to the event
- Track and export data from various sources (e.g., website analytics and mailchimp) for the purpose of LFC monitoring and evaluation
The Local Food Challenge Communications and Event Planning Assistant will report directly to the Network Coordinator and Communications Coordinator for All Things Food. Many tasks can be completed at home, however bi-monthly meeting and community outreach will require access to transportation. Office space can be arranged if desired. A personal computer and phone are required.
- College or University level student in one of the following areas: event planning and hospitality, food and nutritional sciences, public administration, communications and marketing and/or another related field
- Motivated, passionate, confident, and able to work both independently and in a team
- Familiar with the food system in Stormont-Dundas-Glengarry and Prescott-Russell
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Organized, with exceptional time-management skills
- Experience with social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram), WordPress, Mailchimp, video creation, and writing media releases
- Access to a car or alternate form of transportation is required.
- Marketing and event planning experience is an asset
- The ability to speak and write in French is a highly valued asset.
In compliance with the funding eligibility requirements, applicants must also:
- be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment;
- have been registered as full-time students in the previous academic year and intend to return to school on a full-time basis in the next academic year;
- be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act3; and,
- be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial/territorial legislation and regulations.
30 hours per week for 8 weeks at $11.00 an hour. Position starts July 4, 2016 and ends August 26, 2016.
To apply to this posting, please send a cover letter, resume and one writing sample to:[email protected] no later than 9am, Thursday June 20th, 2016. Interviews will be scheduled starting June 23th, 2016. Only applicants to be considered for the position will be contacted. Thank you!